history of the Millburn Free Public Library as a legally organized
public institution dates from the 1930’s; however, it took a
determined effort to reach even that point. The following
passage, written in 1958 regarding the Library and its history, is
taken from Marian Meisner’s
“A HISTORY OF MILLBURN TOWNSHIP”.
In 1938 by popular referendum, Millburn Township at last had a free public library. Many times throughout the life of the Township attempts had been made to establish a library in Millburn.
long ago as 1873 Stewart Hartshorn had established a reading
room. Later, Mrs. Hartshorn, and a group of ladies had made
another effort. In the 1930's Frederick J. Clark willed his
personal library to the Town as a nucleus for a library. In
1935, the Junior Service League appointed Mrs. W. S. Auchincloss
Chairman of a committee to establish a reading room in the
Recreation House in Taylor Park. Two thousand books were donated
by citizens. The project was abandoned in 1936 for lack of help
and cooperation from the public and the books were stored in the
Paper Mill Playhouse. Later a meeting was held there and the
Millburn Library Association was formed, supported by private
subscriptions, but the Library was still not available to enough
families. However, it was an important step forward for it had
the effect of arousing the citizens to an awareness of the need
for a free and public library.
Public-spirited citizens took up the battle and the question
was at last put up to the voters in the November 1938, election,
and the question was finally settled.
The first library building was located in a small house,
since razed, at the intersection of Brookside Drive and Old
Short Hills Road. That house had been a private home, then
Cornell's butcher shop, then its ownership passed to the
Township, becoming the first Library. Mrs. Shirley Hedden was
one of the first librarians. She was the children's librarian
and assistant to the head librarian until the resignation of
Miss Frances Duck as chief librarian in 1946. Mrs. Hedden served
the Library continuously from 1940 until her resignation in
1957. Miss Elizabeth Farrar succeeded Mrs. Hedden as
Librarian in that year.
The first head librarian in 1938 was Margaret R. VanIngen,
who was succeeded by Dorothy A. Dickie, but each served only a
During the first year of its existence 23,302 books were taken out; last year, (1957) the circulation was 81,670 books. The library now houses 30,731 books, most of them acquired by purchase, but many were received as gifts also. Among the latter being the business library of Walter A. Staub, which was presented as a memorial to Mr. Staub.
As stated above, the first public library opened its doors on the corner of Old Short Hills Road and Brookside Drive in a building that had once been a butcher shop.
Over the years the Library grew and in 1952, $97,000 was
appropriated by the Township Committee to renovate a structure
at the corner of Essex Street and Lackawanna Place – the
original home of Congregation B’nai Israel – as a memorial
library. In addition to the Township appropriation, donors
contributed another $80,000 and in September of 1954, the doors
were opened to the new Library. The building at the corner of
Essex Street and Lackawanna Place remained in service until 1976
when the present Glen Avenue facility was opened.
Thirty-two years later, the Library houses a collection in
excess of 100,000 books and has substantial holdings in
magazines, microfilm, compact discs, books-on-tape and on CD and
DVDs. In addition, it offers high-speed Internet access at
sixteen networked computers for the public as well as wireless
Internet access. It maintains licenses for web-based databases
that may be used only in the building, or in limited cases, at
home for authenticated registered users. The 25,000+ square foot
building has a seating capacity of 70 in the adult reading area
and 32 in the children’s services reading area. The
Library provides three meeting rooms on the second floor with
respective capacities of 175, 35, and 30 individuals.
These are used by many township organizations for meetings and
by the Library for children’s story time sessions and arts &
craft activities. Two small private study rooms are
located on the mezzanine and are available for quiet study on a
first-come/first-serve basis only – no appointments are taken.
The Steinway Model “B” Piano in the auditorium was a gift of the
Woman’s Club of Millburn and is available for recitals at a cost
of $250 per recital.
If you would like to use one of our meeting rooms or reserve
the piano, please read the policy statement on
meeting rooms and contact Leighan Cazier - firstname.lastname@example.org
- by e-mail or at 973-376-1006 (ext. 114). Effective March
12, 2002, the Library was approved for full membership in the
Bergen County cooperative Library System (BCCLS). BCCLS is a
non-profit library-cooperative promoting increased access to
books & other materials via a single shared automated system.
Its members include all 62 public libraries in Bergen County,
plus 5 in Essex, 5 in Hudson & 2 in Passaic Counties. For
more information on BCCLS and its services please go to
The Library's 2008 budget is $3,058,717 of which 94.5% came
from Township funding. State and Federal aid as well as fines &
fees and generous gifts from the Friends
of the Millburn Library comprise other
revenues. For that year, $136,663 was budgeted for books;
$36,000 for magazines & newspapers; $12,000 for reference
databases; and $75,500 for non-print materials such as
DVDs, compact discs and books-on-tape and books-on-CD. These
amounts do not include gift funding from the Friends of the
A seven-member Board of Trustees governs the Library, five of whom are appointed by the Township Committee for five-year terms. The Mayor and the Superintendent (or their appointed representatives) are permanent members of the Board. The President of the Board of Trustees in 2011 is James Suell and the Director of the Library is Bill Swinson.